The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: overwintered annuals
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:21 pm 

After three days of snow I'm a little tired of winter and am looking forward to spring. I took pity on the coleus cuttings that have been sitting on the windowsill since October. After 4 months in a drinking glass they can use a change of scenery.

Unfortunately they don't look a whole lot better in dirt, but between the stronger light and longer days they should pick up quick now.

I've been overwintering these same four coleus for a couple years now and by May I should have a couple dozen plants and cuttings, enough to fill bare spots and give away come springtime. The dark leaved one always does real good, unless its crowded out by butterfly weed and pineapple sage such as this end of the year mess. LOL

Anyone else overwinter garden plants indoors? I used to save more, but someone in the house doesn't want a whole lot of messy plants all over the windowsills. What's up with that?

Post subject: Re: overwintered annuals
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:55 pm 

What!? Someone in your house doesn't appreciate your efforts to carry the plants on through the winter? :wink:

I keep intending to keep some plants over, but it seems my plans always get changed. I took some rose cuttings last fall and brought them in when we had a cold snap, but they didn't appreciate it and died. They had rooted, though. Maybe I'll try again.

It looks like a nice activity to do while you have a snowy landscape.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:06 pm 

Oh Nice!
I like all the different coleus colours you saved and that you included the chartreuse. I once worked for a grower who thought that name meant a hot ink rather than the lime green that it is and we ha d a heck of a lot of it and it sold very slowly.

I am wintering over some lantanas for the first time but am keeping the old plant to carry on and to take cuttings from once they get going. Here they do not survive the winters outdoors as they do in the south.
Because I hope to move house this year I am not planning on growing as much but have lots to go on with anyway and have about 8 one gallon sized epiphylum x's out in the garage. When they set their buds I hope to donate them to a thrift shop and thin out for moving. I have so many due to dividing old plants last year, some of which bloomed very well after being wintered over in the cool garage.
Attachment:
15e.JPG
15e.JPG [ 50.95 KiB | Viewed 1548 times ]

Attachment:
IMAGE006ex.JPG
IMAGE006ex.JPG [ 52.26 KiB | Viewed 1548 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: old one in 2 gal pot
IMAGE001.JPG
IMAGE001.JPG [ 59.98 KiB | Viewed 1548 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: roots are packed
IMAGE002.JPG
IMAGE002.JPG [ 75.51 KiB | Viewed 1550 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:08 pm 

The roots were tight in there and the growth was full on top, what to do?
Attachment:
File comment: break it open over the 2 gal. pot
IMAGE010.JPG
IMAGE010.JPG [ 42.28 KiB | Viewed 1548 times ]

this way the leaves had a way to hang while the roots were worked.
Attachment:
File comment: got a few...
IMAGE007.JPG
IMAGE007.JPG [ 68.25 KiB | Viewed 1548 times ]

yup, got a few alright
Attachment:
IMAGE004.JPG
IMAGE004.JPG [ 45.96 KiB | Viewed 1547 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: nice pink a little smaller than red
pIMAGE026.JPG
pIMAGE026.JPG [ 33.92 KiB | Viewed 1547 times ]

Got some mini fuchsias for the hummingbirds carrying over too tho I see they do ok outside, they are faster to bloom if kept warmer.
A basket with a couple of gazanias too.
Once I kicked the old car out of the garage there was lots of room for plants! As it is actually a carport, the end is open to the light and I cover it with a tarp, so no windowsills are required!
ha ha

D :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:24 pm 

Yes, I guess the cacti are not really garden plants but you know, they are too big for my house so they're not really house plants either!
Too soon for cuttings etc so I thought I'd share those above from last year.

D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:30 pm 

Beautiful cacti flowers. I almost bought one of those at a garden show the other day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:42 pm 

Ooops..... guess I spent too much time changing a diaper and getting yogurt and the post I wrote dissapeared! TMI?

Luv2garden- It's obvious from my pictures that I'm not much of an overwinterer either. Cuttings in water are the only ones that make it for me... and even then its touch and go at times when all the water evaporates! I've learned my lesson from years past when I started a bunch of things but ended up with nothing more than a dozen pots of dried up sticks! :oops:

Dana those epis are amazing! I didn't know they could have such large blooms, the ones I've seen in the past were much smaller.... very cool... also I'm surprised by all the roots in that pot. I always figured the pot was just to hold the plant down as it slunk all over the place... kind of like orchids and their long roots poking out all over.

I'm a little jealous of the enclosed carport.... You might have inspired me to get a few shoplights and set something up in the basement for next winter! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:18 am 

oh! Diapers Kato,
Yes, I'm going to have to return to that world at the end of the year as I was told I am going to be a grandmother then. They have those paper things these days hey?????

Well, the water method is tried and true! I am even trying it on one epi stem that broke off as I had read of someone doing so with a zygo cactus bit. Kinda nuts really as I have always let my cacti cuttings ends dry and form a 'callous' before placing them in soil. But I am happy to experiment. I did that with the epi bit too before putting it in water. I think I found my first one at a thrift shop for next to nothing,ha ha ha, 30 yrs ago.........granny right?

I found that I could root passion vines in water way easier than I could from cuttings in soil though if I get enough root on it when weeding out the runners I can put that into soil.

If you are growing nice coleus plants I am envious as they have never done really well for me, going to bloom and never looking good after that no matter how I pinch out the blossoming stems.

You say shop lights in the basement. I don't know exactly what you mean by that sort of light but do check your stores for the latest in grow lights.
Or google for the ratio required for fluorescent and incandescent lights combined for plant growth, something that used to work for me years ago.
Spring is showing her face around here with forsythia bursting out this weekend with plums and cherries popping their blooms now too.

D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:47 pm 

Dana, you have me wanting to seek out that cactus after seeing the blooms. I had one a long time ago, but I don't know what became of it. I hardly ever see them for sale here, but every once in a while they show up. I think HD or Lowes had some last year.

How many times in a year do they bloom?

The shop lights are just cheap fixtures that you can get at the above mentioned stores and put in a couple of types of fluorescent lights. I have them set up with some metal shelving for vegie starts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:08 am 

Hi,
They bloom only once for me though I have had the odd bloom at Xmas time on the red one. I have two reds and the more upright is budding up now while the other two are not. So it looks like April for that one this year though they bloomed in June/July last year.

If you google them you will see that they come in many colours too. I have never seen them for sale and only rarely at other people's houses here and I have had mine for about 30 yrs tho which piece is the starter I don't know but that ought to tell you that they are hard to kill! I can't recall where I got the pink, maybe garage sale etc.

Yes, the lights have gotten a lot easier to arrange than they used to be. Nice.

D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:09 pm 

I saw one at our Master Gardeners sale last year, so I'll have to watch for one there this year and maybe give it a try. The one I had in my youth was a red one and my folks had a small greenhouse that I kept it in, so it did very well. Now it would be in the house and our winters aren't very bright, even in a south window, so it may not do as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:17 am 

Hi L2,
The epi x's like to be out of the sun except maybe in the winter. They are also called orchid cactus and like the zygos are under the canopy plants that like filtered or north light. Otherwise they wouldn't do in my garage. One that I've been keeping indoors in a cool room was in the Feb sunshine, of which we has a lot this year, and it started to show signs of sunburn!
They are easy and undemanding or I would never have kept them so long.

Later,
D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:58 pm 

The 'open the roots out over a pot' technique is brilliant and elegant!

Wish I had seen this a couple of weeks ago, dealing with a different kind of plant....
I fully intend to steal your technique next time 'round! :) Thanks.

To find your roots, get your hands in soil. To live fully in the present, imagine your garden and make it happen. To see all of reality, spend some time sitting quietly in the garden.... Then get your hands back in the dirt.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:49 pm 

That method did work well which is why I shared it as I don't remember doing that before and it is less risky than the over the edge of the table technique where a fall would result in a crash landing on the concrete floor.

Whose saying was it that said, every gardener knows better than every other gardener?
That's a fine thing, if they all share what they learn along the way.

D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:12 pm 

Thanks for the info. Dana!