The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:15 am 

Hi all,
This is my very first time using any kind of forum.
I live in zone 6A and I planted purple volcano and purple knockout salvias last year in composted soil. I've read that they're supposed to be hardy and easy to grow in my area, but they did not do very well over the winter. Some of them died and I'm not sure why. They're in direct sun from about 11-4. Also, they're fairly green as opposed to deep purple. They're smaller than last year and seem to show no signs of flowering. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, does anyone know which of these 2 types tend to do better? I really want to have some purple or red perennials in my yard, but there's too much sun for coralbells. Any suggestions? I would love to figure out what these salvia need before trying something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:58 pm 

The Purple Volcano may not be "cold hardy" in your zone. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/104456/ The Purple Knockout is hardy in your zone however.

If you planted young, first year Salvias, they may take a couple of years to become established. With some, the rule of thumb according to lots of gardeners is...first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap.

Rosie