The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Peony first bloom time
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:16 pm 

I have forgotten does it take one or two years for a peony to bloom for the first time? Then does it bloom every year thereafter? It has been a long time since I had peonies.

Thanks
Jeanne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:37 pm 

yes, it takes a few years after planting for them to bloom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:53 am 

It might take a year or to to get flowers when you first plant, but don't just sit there and take it. Make sure you've followed all the rules for planting depth, type of soil, etc. If the plant is a small start or a bare-root from a box store then give it a couple of years. I expect a good-sized plant to flower straight away and would certainly be worried if it skipped more than a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:49 am 

Hmm...my bare root plant that I put in a pot for now has 3 or 4 buds on it. I wonder what I did right?? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:00 am 
It depends on the maturity/size of the plant as well as how you planted it. Peonies are VERY particular as to planting depth. They intensely dislike being planted too deep.

That said, all the ones I've bought/planted bloomed the first year & every year thereafter - but they were potted plants, not bareroot starts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:06 pm 

Unfortunately my hubby discarded the original tags that came with the plant, so I don't have info on color of bloom or planting depth. I purchased the plant in a pot, I believe that it was a dark pink to fuschia color and it was a double. But I don't have any further recollections. Also we have a tendency to having Colorado beetles so this concerns me. Does anyone have further ideas of where I should go on the net and/or what I should read?

Thanks again.
Jeanne

Post subject: Re: Peony first bloom time
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:06 pm 

Jeanne, with most anything in the plant world, there's "societies" that wish to extend information about their expertise in bringing them along. Roses, dahlias, hydrangea, and peonies have such societies and they usually are according to 'States", "Provinces", or
"National" organizations.

Peonies are, I think, in a class by themselves in that they through a huff if you don't follow narrow needs of their growing. For instance, as pointed out, their depth of planting is important.....their topmost buds...must not be any deeper than 1 1/2" to 2" below soil.
If not followed, the plant may not....and may not ever, bloom.
When we cultivate in the spring, we usually toss soil around our plants, we may add fresh compost or topsoil or dig around the plants and if we do that recklessly, we may put soil on top of them, effectively putting them deeper.
If we move them, even a few inches, that may be enough to cause the plant to stop coming bloom. I think, left where they are for years, they build strength and may suffer the slings and arrows and bloom without interuption.
Also, the flowers, being so large, need support planned for, weeks ahead of their coming so they don't fall over and hide themselves.
They don't need extra effort of care, just a little forward care of their coming.