The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Some 'Ultraviolet' color
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:51 pm 

The color of this Scabiosa is fantastic, but seems to be self sterile. 'Fama' might be a good selection to cross it with.
Check it out!
ShawnImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:21 pm 

Do you think its fertile at all? Those double flowers can be a pain to get seed from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:37 pm 

Hi Ian. This plant is available, but only vegetatively propagated & is apparently patented. I bought it from Garden Crossings, through mail order/ I had one, last year, but I hadn't noticed that it had a huge chunk of wood- yes a piece of bark, quite large, directly under the crown.
It didn't like it at all & in the heat, sun & drought of summer, it did not survive. I wrote the Nursery & they replaced it.
So, this is actually my second plant.
But last year, I had some other caucasica (Isaac?) House Hybrids. I used that pollen & produced seeds on 'Ultraviolet'. But, I didn't collect the seeds!
The plants were at a friends house & now no longer lives there. But I do wonder if any ever sprouted...
I had started 'Fama' in 2007, but during a few days while I was away, those seedlings dried up, as it hadn't rained while I was briefly away & they burned up in the dry heat & full sun....
So, 'Ultraviolet' can produce seeds.
Viable? I dunno yet!
But, by itself? No, not from what I have observed.
But, I also have a little Japanese alpine Scabiosa (seed grown cultivar?). I just used it's pollen & it seems to have worked & seed is forming, again on 'Ultraviolet'.
Just not sure, if they will sprout yet, as its still unripe.
Later in autumn, hopefully the 'Fama' I sowed several months ago, will bloom in time, to use in another cross pollination experiment.
After I purchased the plant, I had read online, in Misssouri Botanical Garden website, that it was sterile.
Well, I figured it may be self sterile, but that doesn't necessarily mean infertile!
Understand, now, Ian?
The flowers turn darker bluish violet, as they age & I had meant to show how they deepen in color.
Are you interested in seeing the alpine, or how the flower color changes, on Ultraviolet?
I could also check the cv. name on the label of the alpine, for you, if you'd like. But I think Swallowtail Seeds, may even offer this one. Whereas, the 'Ultraviolet' is available only as a plant. Except for the darker flower color, it otherwise looks just like caucasica, to me. No idea why it isn't self fertile...
Bye, Shawn