The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weeds
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:03 pm 

What is the best and least expensive way to control weeds in a perennial bed?

I'm getting tired of digging and pulling them. And I noticed when I use horse manure to fertilize the bed I get a whole bunch of new weeds coming up.

I need some suggestions. Thanks for any.

Mickey2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:15 pm 

Well, you can hoe them, mulch them, feed them to death(scorch the little buggers with some blood, fish and bone ;)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:25 pm 
I hate to break it to you, but pulling - including ALL the root - is still the best way to eventually get rid of perennial weeds.

As far as horse manure, since I have 6 horses, I compost & use a LOT of it - lol!!. If you're having problems with increased weeds from using horse manure, one or both of two things are happening: 1) the manure isn't fully composted yet, &/or 2) the composted manure is so wonderful that it's uber-feeding weeds already present in your beds. :)

Post subject: yeah
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:18 am 

I've heard that horse manure is pretty bad about weed seeds. My neighbors have horses and one of these days I'll ask if I can dispose of unlimited manure for them....

Sometimes horse manure comes with straw bedding material, which is also weed-seedy. Compost longer and mulch more is all I can say. Weeds will grow in pure mulch, but at least they're very easy to pull then.

It's also critical not to let them go to seed. Living in the country I can only fight the thistles and annual grasses back so far, but the areas where I pull or mow them down before they go to seed are always tamer the next year. For poison oak I'll even spray roundup into the neighbors properties. Some things, like oxalis, can actually spread by weeding (if you just pull and drop), so figure out what weeds you're dealing with and show no mercy.

I actually kind of like weeding myself, there's something gratifying about yanking them up. There's something REALLY gratifying about laying into a huge bush of poison oak with a backpack sprayer. Fighting unadulterated evil with one of most potent weapons known to weeds, hurah! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:54 am 

I agree, don't let them go to seed! I can't keep ahead of them here and many do go to seed and it's so much harder the next year. Mulch has been the best thing for me. I put down several layers of newspaper with a mulch on top, which is straw in a lot of places. I have too much to area to mulch with bark or purchased compost.

There are also weed flamers that work well on seedlings. I have one that puts out a small flame that I can use among plants. I can only use it during the wet season, though.http://groworganic.com/item_PWC540_Siev ... es=2718644

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:39 am 

Mickey,
You can also try spraying the weeds you want to die with horticultural strength vinegar. It kills, and it kills quickly. I don't think it gets the root, though, like Round Up. It kills the foliage. I haven't had my dandelion-type weeds grow back on me once sprayed, though, and it's more environmentally friendly than Round-Up.

RG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:06 pm 

Weeding will get a bed to the point where very few weeds come up, but it sounds like you're seeding them in by the thousand. You could compost the manure first, a good cooking in a hot pile will kill most of the seeds. Remember to turn it a couple of times so that the bits on the outside get a chance to be cooked too.