The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: moving perennials
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:07 pm 

I must have a bad habit of wanting badly to have a specific plant and then watching it do poorly. Right now, I think I lost my bleeding heart ( sounds serious) because it's disappeared as a plant.
My two delphiniums flowered a bit in early July but are still green though a little beat up looking. I think they need more sun but what do I know. There's a new hybrid called Rocky Mountain cornflower which is barely holding its own and won't flower for sure this season. I think it needs to be moved. Also, two alyssum golden basket,2 trachelium and one diathus gratianopolitanus. Directions please! (including north, south, east, and west).

Gardening, complete with dirty fingernails, gathering the readily available shmutz which gathers around sewer grates = makes great mulch/soil additives! It's weird how I can remember Latin names for plants whereas I forget almost everything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:51 pm 

Its natural for Bleeding Heart (Dicentra spectabilis) to disappear by this time of year. If it doesn't reappear in spring then you have actually lost it. It will last longer with shade and plenty of water but at best you'll have a few ragged stalks by the end of summer. Plan for some late summer plants to grow up in that spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:51 pm 

Thank you, shrubs_n_bulbs. That is good advice and you were wise not to tackle every problem I raised since it would probably overwhelm both of us. What you describe is what happened - the stalks came free in my hand. I won't declare it a loss until next spring.

Gardening, complete with dirty fingernails, gathering the readily available shmutz which gathers around sewer grates = makes great mulch/soil additives! It's weird how I can remember Latin names for plants whereas I forget almost everything else.