The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Passion Flower (Passiflora)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:50 am 

I hope I'm putting this in the right place. I THINK this plant is a perennial.

Anyway, I've just purchased a passion flower, the white and green variety. I don't know much about this plant, only that I like the unusual flowers.

Can anybody give me a few pointers re caring for this plant. For example, how much water does it like, does it prefer sun or shade, will it die back in the winter ... ?

Any advice appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:21 pm 

Hmm--I live in quite a different climate than that of Kent, so I'm not sure how much help I'll be. They're definitely perennial for me--tho' possibly more people in the 'vine' forum would answer. The ones I have do tend to go dormant in winter, one more than the other. They seem to like both shade and sun; I planted both in the sun, but they send up shoots everywhere--and I do mean everywhere! I really have rather mixed feelings about them. The flowers are intriguing, but don't bloom as often as I'd like, primarily because they are prized food of the gulf frittilary, a butterfly I assume you wouldn't have, but there might be others who like it as much. Mostly I like them, and they are certainly low-maintenance, except for pulling the root shoots that come up all over. My impression is most vines don't care all that much where their roots are as long as there's somewhere to climb so their heads are in the sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:35 pm 

if you are talking about p. incarnata, it is a perennial that goes dormant after frost in the u.s.
as greenelbows writes, it will run about in your garden.
i put one (from seed) in an area that i don't mind it spreading and now i see 5 or 6 vines. i think the flowers are unusual and intricate but it really is considered a weed by many here. i have seen large areas covered in it.
they are commonly called "maypops" in the southern u.s. because of the fruit it produces. they should be ripe enough to eat in the fall, after they shrivel and turn yellowish.
i planted one for the butterflies and they will completely defoliate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:46 am 

Wow, how such a lovely plant can be conisidered a weed?!

The one I have is the Constance Elliot variety and I'm keeping it in a pot trained on trellis until I've moved house and have a new garden to plant it out in.

Its about to produce its first bloom!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:44 am 

We don't tend to see incarnata available over here, possibly because it could be invasive, cerulea is the passionflower in the UK.
It may die back in the winter, there's certainly a good change that it'll lose its leaves, even if the stems don't die back it's worth pruning fairly hard as i've tended to find that older growth doesn't always flower freely and you want to keep the flowering growth within view, it'll probably bloom beautifully on your roof but you'll have a job trying to appreciate it ;).
I don't know how the Constance elliot variety differs from normal forms with regard to hardiness but cerulea is extremely tough and tollerant.