The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Goldenseal to share
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:06 pm 

I'm new here, so I may not have found the right place to post this. If so, please let me know. But I don't see any 'trading place' here. So I'm figuring that such things go in the specific topics....

We started Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) years ago from a plant purchased at our University Botanical Garden. It took off very well, and we now have more patches of it than we want. We have divided it and spread out more patches, moved patches, given it away in many directions. And I suspect, come spring, that there will be more to give away. And spring is a good time to put this in and have it take well. It is probably the most tolerant to being carefully mailed at this time.....

Does anyone want some, or know of anyone who might? I'll be glad to send it. It is seriously endangered in its wild ranges, and I would love to see it spread around and being grown in more areas of its native range.

Just let me know.

To find your roots, get your hands in soil. To live fully in the present, imagine your garden and make it happen. To see all of reality, spend some time sitting quietly in the garden.... Then get your hands back in the dirt.

Post subject: Re: Goldenseal to share
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 am 

what's the native range for it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:45 pm 

It's got a wide range.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=HYCA shows the range map, and some thumbnail photos. The fourth thumbnail from the left looks pretty much like it does in our garden. We have it growing among sweet woodruff in some places, too.

It's not endangered because it is fussy or difficult to grow. It's a medicinal that has been intensively gathered from the wild for a *long* time.... Sort of the same problems as with wild ginseng.

There's a lot of other good info on this site.

To find your roots, get your hands in soil. To live fully in the present, imagine your garden and make it happen. To see all of reality, spend some time sitting quietly in the garden.... Then get your hands back in the dirt.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:52 pm 

i'd be interested in some. i need to check to see if i'm allergic to it or not - i think i might be; something is niggling at the back of my brain...so, need to double check on it and will let you know!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:25 pm 

The goldenseal is breaking ground.

I'll try to send off packages to those who requested it over the next week or so.

If anyone else wants some, please let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:32 am 

thanks very much