The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Field Poppies
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:42 am 
Here in Virginia there's a lovely Spring wildflower called a "Field Poppy". It's basically a typical poppy, although smaller all-round - same foliage, same unique seedpod, & a lovely little greenish-centered orange/scarlet flower about 1"/1-1/2" across tops.

For the past two weeks they can be seen blooming along the roadsides & on waste ground all over the place, & I would love to have some on my property.

I've searched my books & the internet but don't seem to be having any luck finding either seeds or growing info, mostly, I believe, because it's considered a "weed".

Driving along, I've noticed that seedpods are starting to set, but they're all still green, & road crews are already out & about starting to mow & weedwhack. Do you think seeds would mature if I stopped & picked some green pods, or do the pods have to mature on the plant to be viable?

Post subject: be patient
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:57 pm 

I'm sure the road crews won't get them all. Find a group of them in an out of the way place and go back for seed later. It can be hard to find seed pods after the flowers are gone if you don't know exactly where to look.

I harvest seed of california poppy by rubber banding a piece of paper towel around the developing pod to catch the seed. CA poppy pods burst open and scatter seed so you can't just wait and pick them up when they dry out. You could try that with the field poppies.

OTOH, you could just dig one up and let the pod ripen at home. That's better odds than picking a green pod and if it's a weed in the soon-to-be-mowed ditch, no-one will care.

I go on weekly walks up my hill with little seed baggies to collect wildflower seed so I can get some color in my yard (it was graded 2 years ago and the perennial wildflowers were wiped out).