The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rain Gardens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:17 am 

Anyone else out there create one of these?

Lots of information online about how to make them and lots of information about species of native plants that can be used in them.

I've got one and it is totally underplanted. We (actually husband) trenched a line from one of our rain gutters down to a lower area in our yard. Dug out an irregular shape (I did the digging) that was about 2-3' deep, then set a roofing liner in place. I filled it and planted it with a few Marshallia grandiflora (Bog Buttons) and a few Iris versicolor (Blue Flag Iris) but never quite added anything after that so it's been sitting there looking nekkid with only a few plants scattered across it. I've got space for plants that have height to them and thought about tossing in Lobelia siphilitica (Great Blue Lobelia) but that's about as far as it went... a thought. Definitely want to add some native grasses and sedges to the area at some point in time as well as more native herbaceous perennials.

If anyone else has one of these, I'd really like to see photos and I'd also be curious to know what types of plants you chose. I'm decent with plants but not so decent with design. Spring is around the corner and this is one of my many unfinished projects that I really need to do something about. It's sort of an eyesore right now because it's so sparse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:25 pm 

I don't have a rain garden (3/4 of the land I live on is one giant natural rain garden :lol: ), but I did put up some rain gutter to collect rain from my roof. I use it to water my small bog that we built last summer. I was quite surprised by how much the collection system produced. Less than 1/2 inch of rain and my 50 gallon rain barrel is overflowing! (note to self: get another rain barrel).

Wish I could help with design info, but my design skills aren't as good as they never were :) . Hopefully someone else will chime in with some thoughts on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:21 pm 

I also have rain barrels. We've found a way to connect them for overflow so I have a series of three in one area, two in another, and another three downstairs in the basement that I fill by running a garden hose down through the window well and into the house. Not exactly a sophisticated system of getting the water into the house but gravity helps.

About a third of my property down here is wetlands and a few ponds. I'm working on cleaning those up. I do have several acid bogs here- love em!

The rain garden was a whim. Wanted to redirect the water from that particular downspout away from the home and figured no time like the present to create a rain garden and play with some different native plants. Created it, tossed a handful of plants in, and realized I'd not spent any time selecting plants. Oops.

Designing anything is difficult for me. I'm not artsy and don't quite pull things together well without having the benefit of copying others.