The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:47 pm 

I'm pretty happy with the way the garden worked this year so I'm going to try to reduce the maintenance on the strawberries by using soil boxes for a 4 row bed. Got 2 made so far , will make 2 more for next years runners. Using the "replace mother plants after 2 years" plan, I'll be able to get a rotation going.

Laid down some weed barrier, cloth that lets water thru.

Made some 12' long boxes. I like the pyramid (angle side) type. More soil & less room for weeds. I got a good $ deal at Lowes, they had a reject pile of 2 x 8s, 10s & 12. Some are warped but I just put the angle piece in the middle then trace whatever the angle on the ends are & cut it to fit. (6" opening at the top)

Filled with compost, planted some new strawberries. As the runners grow I'll train them to the other box to get some started there. May need to use a pot in-between to get them to travel far enough to the other box.

Box with plants 2X8, empty one I used 2 X 10 & more angle. Enough room for a small push mower between them if needed.
Attachment:
102_3170.JPG
102_3170.JPG [ 400.48 KiB | Viewed 764 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:09 pm 

Do you find that you need to place a cover or netting over your strawberries to stop the birds from getting to them before you do???

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:28 am 

He might want to use spme kind of a bird barrier, Were that my strawberry patch I'd want to add some mulch too.

Looks pretty good though.