The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Best mulch?
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:20 am 

For the SFG / No-till,
What is the best mulch for around the boxes & tires. For now I plan to use grass clippings as I mow the yard but would it be better to use chipped wood? May rent a chipper & do some brush clean up.
Would this make longer lasting weed free mulch?
Should I lay down fabric or plastic before I mulch?

Post subject: Re: Best mulch?
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:10 am 

Wood chips would last longer, but mine are only weed free for the summer if I place it in the spring, then the seed starts blowing in and when the fall rain comes, they sprout, but not as much as they do on bare ground. There is a lot of pasture land around us, though, and you may not have that.

I have to put fabric down or mine would disappear into the soil or a mole would pop up in them and make a mess of them. Lots of worms under mulch for them.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:29 am 

Luv2
Thanks for the reply
Are you & I the only posters?
Must be a busy time for everyone.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:27 am 

You're welcome. Hope it was a little helpful. I personally like gravel paths the best. Weeds still grow in it, but I can just take my flamer to them and get rid of them easily when they're young.

I don't know if we're the only ones. I'd be on less if I felt better, because I'm way behind in the garden chores, more than I've ever been I think. I need rabbits back to help with the weeds, because they consume a lot in a day. I may have to resort to roundup to get the buttercups under control.

Our spring weather doesn't make it very inviting to work in the garden either. Too wet and sometimes too cold along with it. This weekend we're having warmer rainy days, so I may get out with the flamer while it's good and wet.

Enjoy your new gardening style and keep learning.

Last edited by luv2grdn on Sat May 02, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:36 pm 
I use grass clippings &/or old straw/hay for my pathways. I find wood chips too slippery when wet, plus they take too long to break down. In addition, they make terrific hiding places for snails, slugs, & other garden pests. I like the fact that at the end of the season I can just flip my pathway "bedding" right into the garden to compost down over the winter.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:21 pm 

Here the grass and hay or straw get slippery and harbors many more slugs than chips do. I like the fact that chips don't break down as fast myself, less work each year. It just depends on your preferences Dave.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:39 am 

I personally think the best mulch is whatever you can get for free. For me that's leaves, grass clippings and cardboard or newspaper. In the front yard, I do buy cocoa hull mulch because I want it to look a particular way. Elsewhere, I just use what I can scrounge.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:22 pm 

Used grass clippings mixed with leaves for the first batch. Mowed the yard to pick up some of the dead grass & leaves left by Winter.
I LIKE FREE .. also

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:43 pm 

Now that we have a chipper, I get a lot of chips to use as mulch or paths. Grass clippings get composted with leaves or spread over weed patches. Yesterdays clippings all went for smothering weeds. I get a lot of weeds, more than I can keep up with by hand, so the grass helps a lot.

Our burn pile used to be at least 5' tall and probably 8' or more wide, so now we hardly have any thanks to the chipper.