The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:41 pm 

Something you may or may not want to consider before you top-dress your beds this spring.

http://www.jbest123.thegardenjournals.org/?p=142

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:43 pm 

Hi John, after reading your blog entry, this is what came to my mind.

I've never used vermiculite in the garden, only pots. If you're adding all that compost, it's unlikely that your soil will ever get too heavy for healthy root growth etc. Don't know why people think they have to do that?? Or maybe that's for heavy clay soils?? With the intensive sfg, I'd be more concerned about keeping the nutrients and moisture levels at the optimum and it looks to me like you've got that under control.

If you didn't add anything to your boxes your soil level would definitely drop, though. This isn't probably how a botanist would describe it, but plants use up the soil somehow, so it's not just because your compost continues to break down.

I'd be interested in hearing the reasoning for the extensive use of vermiculite - would you mind posting about that here?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:44 pm 

Hi John, after reading your blog entry, this is what came to my mind.

I've never used vermiculite in the garden, only pots. If you're adding all that compost, it's unlikely that your soil will ever get too heavy for healthy root growth etc. Don't know why people think they have to do that?? Or maybe that's for heavy clay soils?? With the intensive sfg, I'd be more concerned about keeping the nutrients and moisture levels at the optimum and it looks to me like you've got that under control.

If you didn't add anything to your boxes your soil level would definitely drop, though. This isn't probably how a botanist would describe it, but plants use up the soil somehow, so it's not just because your compost continues to break down.

I'd be interested in hearing the reasoning for the extensive use of vermiculite - would you mind posting about that here?

Thanks!