The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:25 pm 

I was wondering if anyone has planted their sfg with a fall crop. I have 136 squares to plant, and about 120 of them have been planted already. The others will be planted for successions of some veggies. My planting numbers are as follows:
20 cabbage
14 broccoli
32 squares of cowpeas
16 squares of sugar snap snow peas
13 squares of carrots, short and sweet variety
11 squares of lettuce
16 squares of collards
16 squares of turnips, for the greens
4 squares of potatoes

Post subject: oh well
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:09 pm 

I guess i'll just stay at gardenweb. Thanks everybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:29 am 

Don't stay away for good! Things just get slow here during the growing months.

I didn't answer because I don't do sq. ft. gardening and I didn't plan a fall garden. I do have volunteer kale and broccoli, though.

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:29 pm 

I just thought there were more people here, and I certainly understand why you didn't answer. I'll hang around a while.
Also, I don't bite....John knows me very well, i'm a good guy, that loves to garden.

EG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:41 am 

EG, as you know I am in the middle of converting the rest of my garden to SFG. Now you got me thinking about potato towers and the earthbox. :roll: This week I got a new laptop with the wide screen and Vista OS installed. Now my journal does not look right on the wide screen. I will have to change the theme again to one that looks the same on all screens. In the middle of all this my long time next-door neighbor/friend died. :( Sometimes I wish I had a clone that I could turn on and off when ever I need him. :wink:

John

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:16 am 
The few times I've actually had the time to do a fall garden, it's been just for greens - lettuces, spinach, Asian greens for stirfries, mustard, swiss chard, etc. Sometimes some carrots & turnips.

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:45 pm 

John - sounds like you have your hands full right now, that's a real bummer.....I've built 4 earthtainers in the last week, and can't wait to try them out. I know how you feel on the clone thing....I have to do everything by myself.

Breezy - This is my first fall garden, and I absolutely love it so far. As you can see, I went all out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:48 pm 

Know what your getting at. However the only thing I planted was HM compost pile (bugs) hoping to get them to grow when it gets dark & 30 below zero. Your Location may be a little more favorable than mine for a winter garden. What is a square?
What is gardenweb?

John the clone thing is scary, 2 of you OMG :)

Post subject: SFG
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:41 pm 

I have a very extensive winter garden too, since we get rain in the winter, but the SFG mainly gets lettuce, spinach, chard, and mustard - smaller stuff we use daily in salads. I'm planting literally thousands of peas, fava beans, vetch, grains and mustard/radishes for compost and soil rehabilitation.

The regular garden is getting bok choi, tatsoi, nappa cabbage, peas, radish, broccoli, and brussels sprouts.

I think there's something goofy about how the forums highlight as having unread posts in them, that it only highlights for a day or something, that tends to make us miss posts in lesser used forums. Since we have a 'mark all read' button, the little shovel should be highlighted until we read the posts or mark them as read. I'd been waiting a couple weeks to start talking about winter gardening since I have grand plans. ;)

Post subject: square
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:01 pm 

bogydave - a square is 12" x 12", in a square foot garden. Also, GW is another forum. It's good, but has lots of ads and stuff now....

Promethean_spark - That's a good selection there. What kind of peas are you growing? I've got sugar snap snow peas and cowpeas. I have pictures on my blog, and everything looks good so far. I harvested my first fall veggie today! Romaine lettuce...it was good.

Post subject: snow peas
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:46 pm 

They're all snow peas (I think) they're from seed I saved from last winter. They and fava beans were both very vigorous last year, so I'm planting their offspring in greater numbers. The soil in much of my yard is poor, rocky, subsoil because the lot was graded when the house was built, and it needs legumes and other compost crops in the winter to improve it. The photo is during the 'green' season.

Fava beans are awesome for biomass, but they don't produce anything edible until the end of the season, while the peas continuously produce edible pods. Besides improving the soil, I need LOTS of mulch for the hot, rainless, summer months.

This is my little SFG as of last May (I built it in Feb or so). I'm not strict on the spacing, and just plant stuff where there's room.
The brussels sprouts in the photo are actually still there and making sprouts right now. There's horseradish that needs to come out too, but I waiting on the sprouts to finish up first.

Post subject: cool
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:46 pm 

Promethean_spark, your box looks kinda like mine! Cool...Here's a shot of part of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:17 am 

My winter garden , Romaine & ruby red lettuce on 9-7-08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:17 am 
Oh Dave, you poor thing! And here I get annoyed when we get snow in January - lol!!

Post subject: bummer!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:03 am 

Aw, man....what a bummer, Dave. I feel very fortunate, for living in my location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:05 am 

That's too bad you didn't get that last bit of lettuce. Next year put in a late crop of kale. :D

Post subject: hm
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:47 pm 

Actually the lettuce might still be good depending on how cold it got. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:39 am 

Many benefits to living in everyone's locations. I like mine, you like yours. We each take the good & bad & make the best of it.
I got moose, halibut, salmon in the freezer + various garden goodies. Now I'll be working inside, getting the things done that I neglected through the summer but enjoy doing.
Windy & 45 today so the snow is melting. (but not for long)
Life is great, no mater where you live. But I would have liked one last fresh garden salad. LOL :). Safeway lettuce is edible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:10 am 

bogydave wrote:
Many benefits to living in everyone's locations. I like mine, you like yours. We each take the good & bad & make the best of it.

That's a good attitude! I like living here, but do get a little tired of the rain by Feb. Then I just go outside and look at the big trees in the forest to remind myself that it wouldn't be so beautiful without the rain. We had a great fall this year with record breaking temps. Without that, I would've only had a few ripe tomatoes.

Has anyone grown lettuce indoors under lights? I may give it a try.

Post subject: attitude
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:17 am 

That is a very good attitude to have! I would like to be able to grow tomatoes and lettuce at the same time, but it's not realistic because of the temps.

luv2garden - I haven't grown anything under lights, but will try transplants from seed in a new freaky seed starter i'm building. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:23 am 

A freaky seed starter, eh? You'll have to post a pic of that!

Post subject: chard
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:22 pm 

Chard grew well for me all summer and works fine as salad (though it's tougher than lettuce).

My favorite thing about winter gardening is that it's so easy to start seed, just plant them in flats and put them outside. Summer stuff has to be done indoors and need extra light/heat... Not to mention the deer have plenty to eat up in the hills and avoid peopled areas until it's dry again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:01 pm 

I've never grown chard. I have bought seed, but never seem to get around to planting it. My kale self seeds every year, so it's an easy, free crop. I have some plants that are about 3' tall now and I've been using leaves off them for a couple of weeks. I put some bird netting over them so the deer don't get them this year like they did last year. I also had some broccoli seed itself this year and had some good sized heads off of it.

Post subject: freaky seed starter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:55 pm 

Ok, then you shall see the freaky seed starter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:10 pm 

I don'y know EG, I'm starting to worry about you :wink: , I have enough just worring about me. :roll:

John

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:01 pm 

Crap....I just realized that I haven't been a member here for long at all, and i've already went off-topic.....in my own post. LOL. Maybe these people won't get mad at me....Anyway, although it will be intended for growing all of my seedlings throughout the different growing seasons - the first test it will get will be on January 1st. That's when I will start my broccoli, cabbage, collards, and lettuce from seed for the early 2009 growing season. The idea will be to hopefully transplant them into the sfg sometime during the last 2 weeks of February. Of course, then...it will be used to grow my heirloom tomato seedlings. I have big plans for it, and it'll really get a workout throughout the year. If anybody wants more detail about it, i'll gladly post another thread with it in it, or you can visit my journal to see tons of pictures concerning it. http://engineeredgarden.thegardenjournals.org

John - I worry about me too, sometimes. :D
All of these ideas I have in my brain are starting to really come out. LOL

EG

Post subject: Yeah
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:38 pm 

I have one of those, but it's full of cactus seedlings, and in the winter it also gets some refugees from the cold. I need a supplemental seasonal growbox. Of course then more C&S would probably move in during the fall, leaving no room in the spring... It's a sinister cycle. ;)

Maybe a greenhouse would be better... :lol:

Post subject: Re: Yeah
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 pm 

promethean_spark wrote:
Maybe a greenhouse would be better... :lol:

I think that's a very good idea, especially if you hang out on the C&S forum. Those guys are serious enablers. :lol: :wink: