The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Soaker Hose
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:51 pm 

This is my first year at SFGing. There is a description of my layout with pics in my journal. I have eight SFG boxes with a soaker hose in each box and 3 ins of mulch on top of each hose. My watering schedule was twice a week for 10 min If I count the boxes starting at the faucet, I always checked the box closest to the garden gate, box #5. :oops: The garden did excellent until we hit a drought period. Boxes 1 through 5 continued to do well. Boxes 6 through 8 showed signs of serious stress. :roll: The soil in these boxes was dry except the top inch under the hose, boxes 1 through 5 were damp to the bottom of the box. In my opinion 100 ft of soaker hose is to long for consistent distribution of water. :x I plan on separating the water supply between box 5 and 6 to add another zone with its own controller.

John

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:07 am 

Have you considered a drip system? More work to set it up, but it should give you more even watering. But maybe your idea with the soaker hose will work fine for you and it would be less maintenance.

Post subject: eh
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:18 pm 

I have a drip system and don't like it very much, it's a lot of work to set up and the emitters either clog, leak or explode over time. The drip system also has distribution problems because there's about 5' elevation from one corner to the other. I think next year I'll put a controller on each bed, and run 5/8 tubing around it with several taps going to several feet of spaghetti tubing to slow down the flow, then set the controller to only water a couple minutes because of the high flow rate. At least that shouldn't break or clog. With wide bore emitters like that I could probably add an in-line fertilizer dispenser too, it'd be sweet to be able to dump a bag of fertilizer in at some point in the irrigation system and it'll get distributed to all the plants over a couple waterings.

I've heard that soaker hoses tend to clog and need replacing as well as drip emitters, which is why I'm looking into higher flow rates rather than a different low-flow system.