The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:00 pm 

I'm in favor of no till farming/gardening but i would hate to see something like this disappear entirely.

John

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:37 pm 

Whelp, take a picture of it. Even old order mennonites are selling their teams to the slaughter house as fast as they can march the teams there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:45 pm 
What a wonderful pic, John. Thanks for sharing it. While the grey in the back is probably a Percheron cross, the rest of the team looks to be Belgians, which are still quite popular for draft work as, even though large, they're more "compact" than other drafts.

And Tomc - that might be true up where you are, but definitely not down around here (VA/WV/PA).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:12 pm 

Breezy, my Gfather use to raise Clydesdales and Percherons, a green broke team would sell for $400 at that time a team of mules would go for $800. That was before my time but I can remember a well worn shoe hanging in the barn that was 12 ins across. I would have loved to see the horse it came off of. :shock:

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:40 pm 
Yeah - drafts & draft crosses are still popular around here. In fact, our next-door neighbor used to (& still do, even tho they've moved a few miles away) breed Clydesdales & Clydesdale/Thoroughbred crosses.

Unfortunately, finding farriers that will shoe them is another thing altogether - lol!! Many farriers don't want to deal with them because of their size & weight. Working with a sometimes intractible horse is dangerous enough, but working with an intractible draft or draft cross is even moreso.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:33 pm 

I use to own a half Quarter half Thoroughbred, she was referred to as a sprinter and I used her in the games. The furrier that I used worked at the Meadows race track and commented that the type of horse that I had had to be watched. But she was the easiest horse in the stables to work with. When he finished one hoof she would hold the next one up before he got there. During the games she was a different horse though. I still have a box of ribbons, mostly 1st place and nothing less than 2nd. But that was back when I could bounce off of the ground easier. :lol:

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:51 pm 
I know what you mean. You reach a point where you don't bounce anymore - you break - lol!!

I have a Thoroughbred mare (a Ruffian relative), her two gelding sons (Thoroughbred/Connemara), an Impressive-bred (HYPP negative) palomino quarter horse, & 2 lovely Thoroughbred/Oldenburg mares I bred from a Thoroughbred mare (Alydar granddaughter) that unfortunately passed away last year.

Have my share of ribbons from years ago too (all English hunter/equitation stuff), but a fractured spine & badly torn/broken leg have kept me out of the saddle for the past 7 years or so. Some day I may be able to swing a leg over once more, but for the time being I just enjoy them from the ground.