The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:11 pm 
When we first moved to our present farm, one of the first things we did was try to rototill up the area we wanted for a vegetable garden. Within seconds we were hitting rocks & hardpan to the point where rototilling became impossible.

However, since we do have a number of horses, I began simply emptying the wheelbarrows of stall bedding & manure directly into the garden area - row after row. Did this over a period of 2-3 years before I even began thinking of planting anything. Not only do I now have soil that any gardener would be proud of (& I still keep separate manure/compost piles going), but every fall/winter I continue to wheelbarrow horse bedding/manure along the garden edges to break down & eventually get shoveled into the garden area.

I don't make any permanent raised beds. I just shovel up my raised beds every season where & in what configuration I want them - always keeping in mind what was planted there so I don't intercontaminate different vegetable family areas & can rotate crops.

Works very well for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:02 am 

Do you use saw dust and chips for stall bedding, if so do you add lime when you put it on the garden?

John

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:02 am 
I go back & forth between straw & pine shavings, depending on quality, supply, & price. For the most part, tho, I seem to lean more towards straw if everything is equal.

As far as liming, I've never done it & the garden has done just fine, but I've never tested the soil either, so I may have just been lucky so far.