The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:47 pm 

Hey everybody,

Hoping I'm not stirring up old ghosts, but does anyone have any thoughts about the business called Ecology Technology http://www.ecologytek.com/. I only ask because someone on another worm forum was asking about it. I read through all the info on the website and I get the sense that if you are not careful you could loose your shirt. Wasn't around for the last worm farming scam, but saw lots of posts about it. And this sounds a lot like the posts I was reading.

I may be wrong. It may prove to be profitable for someone willing to put a good effort into it, but sounds a little off color to me.

Any thoughts?

Promote Global Worming!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:31 pm 

Quote:
"My wife and I made $30,983 our first year Part Time.
We made $139,936 our second year Full Time."

Anything that begins with an implicit promise to make that kind of money is a scam. JMO. There's no way they did this by selling worms back to the company at less than $10/lbs.

Quote:
"Leachate (worm tea) is another good money maker..."

As everyone here well knows, leachate is not "worm tea". Sell leachate and you're basically selling snake oil. If you know how to sell snake oil, then why bother with leachate? Get cheap compost from the store and mix up some brown liquid to bottle as worm tea.

$2,395 + shipping for a 4' x 8' bin with 5 lbs. of worms??? What's a couple of hundred more for at least 20 lbs. more that you'll need to start? Pfft!

Is it possible to make a living from a worm farm? Yes. It's not easy & you don't do it by spending thousands up front for a bin with heating cables. It requires hard work, patience, communication skills, salesmanship and all the other attributes needed to run a farming business. If you have all that, then you can "make" your first $2k of profit by simply building your own bins or using cheap plastic totes. The bulk of your seed money should go towards buying worms.

Unfortunately, there are always people who are enticed by an "easy" solution. What can you do? Hopefully they will spend $100-150 for one of the worm farming courses first and study those carefully.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:54 am 

I also thought it was very interesting that they only accept checks & money orders for payments. At least a credit card would give the buyer some degree of protection.

Like you, plumiebear, I would hope that anyone interested in this program would be smart enough to check out the information tape they offer (sell) before laying that much cash on the line.

Buyer Beware!!

Promote Global Worming!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:27 am 

Thanks for posting this Buddy. This subject seems to be cyclical over the years.
I do not know of this particular business and cannot comment on them.
I can however use this opportunity to say whenever there is money to be made there are people who would be happy to relieve you of yours.
There are some very reputable worm growing businesses and Happy D Ranch is one of them. They are good, down to earth folks, who have great working knowledge on raising worms. They have experienced, first hand, buy back contract scams.
Go to their website and read through the articles under the information tab.
Here is one of the articles..
http://www.happydranch.com/articles/Worm_Buy-Back_Investment_Warning.htm
It has taken 10 years for Red Hen to grow to be a nice small business.
It is a very labor intensive business.
Quote:
It requires hard work, patience, communication skills, salesmanship and all the other attributes needed to run a farming business. If you have all that, then you can "make" your first $2k of profit by simply building your own bins or using cheap plastic totes. The bulk of your seed money should go towards buying worms.
<---Exactly!
Just speaking to the claims of the "incubator" from Ecology Technology...oh never mind...there is just a whole lot of math to question...and cleaning out only twice a year?...with how many worms growing per incubator? 85 gallon leachate reservoir?
Okay...I'll just say this...if your money is as hard to come by as mine, I would do some serious research before parting with 1 dime.
I wish it was a simple, huge money maker, but it is not.
I do absolutely love what I do though!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:58 pm 

WistarWorms wrote:
I would hope that anyone interested in this program would be smart enough to check out the information tape they offer (sell) before laying that much cash on the line.

Buddy, I wouldn't give a dime to these folks. Any tape they sell is likely to be more advertising tease than real information. I was actually referring to a couple of other websites that are selling only information; a modern day digital version of the old how-to-start-a-worm-farm books. Those old books are still available in many libraries. There is also tons of free info available online. You just need to sort through a lot of junk.

RedHen wrote:
It has taken 10 years for Red Hen to grow to be a nice small business.
It is a very labor intensive business.

Susan, I think your experience is typical for businesses that last longer than a year. What I've found interesting is that most of the folks that are veterans in the worm business are more than happy to share information. There really are no "secrets". They know it simply takes hard work and aren't at all defensive about new "competitors". In fact, I think the best of the worm businesses have a very strong local factor. A 100% online worm farm is unlikely to become anything more than a part-time venture.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:34 pm 

Quote:
"Leachate (worm tea) is another good money maker..."

That quote is a dead giveaway that those scammers don't know anything about worming.

Chuckiebtoo

off-topic:

the dove hatchlings:
Attachment:
IMG_6657.JPG
IMG_6657.JPG [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 3211 times ]

http://wormscan.blogspot.com/