The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:36 am 

The follow up of Cactus Plaza has 5000 species cactus-, succulent- and exotic plant seeds.
Check our yourself: http://www.succulentseeds.com

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:43 pm 

great selection, but outrageous prices. For example: 10 Echinomastus mapimiensis seeds for 5.2 euros? wow.

But, like I said, great selection.

Peter B

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:51 pm 

Please provide additional information on "Parodia iguratensis" .. this is for AFAIK an "unknown" name/species ... :? I suspect a terrible name "mutilation" :wink:
Are you following the "naming" according to the "classification" by Fred Brandt? :)

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:02 pm 

peterb wrote:
great selection, but outrageous prices. For example: 10 Echinomastus mapimiensis seeds for 5.2 euros? wow.

I think Euphorbia bupleurifolia was something like 10 euros :!: The decaryi group Euphorbias were also rediculous prices but at least they had them. Then what are the chances of actually getting them to grow? They also had Erdisia spiniflora, something I don't think I've ever seen on a seedlist before.

What's a euro in US or Canadia $ (nearly the same now)?

I'm using up my left over seeds from last year before buying more (or at least that's the theory). Also I may buy from the suplimentary lists of Messa Garden or the CSSA and get something more obscure.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:12 pm 

5.2 euros is about $6.60 US. If it were the right plant, I'd pay that much for 10 seeds, maybe.

Peter B

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:28 pm 

From what I have seen this seedlist seems to almost exactly mirror Gerhard Kohres in Germany, except the prices have been exactly doubled. I don't who would think that this kind of business venture would be a profitable idea, but, uh, no thanks. I can't figure out for the life of me what I am getting from this company by paying twice as much for their seeds. In fact, they don't even have some of the more desirable things that Kohres offers.

Well, I hope they keep at it, and eventually hook up with more suppliers, and then maybe lower their prices. That would be great!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:33 am 

For these remarks you have to contact the owners of this site in The Netherlands. We just wanted readers of this forum to be aware of this site (amongst many other known seed suppliers). That's all.

As for ourselves we figured out that you can best buy cacti- and succulent seeds at diverse suppliers in Holland and Germany. First of all quality (viability) and some of the seeds are over there less expensive than direct via certain suppliers in the 'native areas' of the different plants; especially in Southern Africa.
We also figured out that there is indeed some 'in-trade' between the diverse suppliers and also that this is to the benefit of involved suppliers and their customers. It just means that you will have to compare prices. On the other hand: if you can buy all needed seeds at one supplier, instead of 5 different ones, it will save significantly in packing and posting plus phyto-certificates. Also something you will have to consider.

Within South Africa there is not much co-operation between the diverse nurseries for most of them applies that they 'invented the wheel' themselves and don't want to share. And as always there is an exception (maybe more that we do not know about); we co-operate very nicely with Fynkwa Nursery in Oudshoorn and Obesa Nursery in Graaff Reinet. We know each others collections and specialities and make use of it. We are not afraid of directing customers to each other although one may think that we are competitors (also true). At the end it benefits not only the customers but also each of the different entities.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:47 am 

Graptopetalum wrote:
snip

What's a euro in US or Canadia $ (nearly the same now)?

snip

try http://www.x-rates.com/ :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:29 am 

regulus wrote:
Please provide additional information on "Parodia iguratensis" .. this is for AFAIK an "unknown" name/species ... :? I suspect a terrible name "mutilation" :wink:
Are you following the "naming" according to the "classification" by Fred Brandt? :)

I guess you should ask Köhres, as stated before by justsaynotocactus. They have that species as number 4381 on their list, for 0.6€ instead of 1.2€.
It is indeed the same person as behind the cactusplaza website :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 am 

Even better .. I'll ask my fellows-bretheren of the IPK :wink:

(Ha cactusplaza .. I wanted to buy some Weingartia from them ... the whole transaction was so expensive I thought they wanted to mail them in gold plated pots .. :shock: ... oh well .. one has the choice! :wink: )

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:54 am 
Administrator

I think it is great information to discuss and does the amature seed growers a great service. There are many sellers of many items that sell on the Internet and depend on ignorance to make the sale.
If we know who offers good material at resonable prices it might help to weed out the less desireable vendors.
AZED